Oatman Az Events - BED RACES AND CHAMBER POT PARADE!
Oatman Az events....Hmmm...It's January, you are bored...The holidays are over and it's not quite warm enough to wakeboard on the River. However, you want something to do....Why not come on out and visit your boat at All Seasons Storage (make sure we are taking great care of it!) and then go on up to Oatman for their 21st Annual Great Oatman Bed Races on January 29th? They are sponsored by Budweiser (could be fun!) and the races are pretty entertaining!
Oatman must be a pretty special place for it only has a population of 128 and yet it boasts having over 500,000 visitors per year! It is only about 40 minutes away from Needles and it originally came to life in the early 1900's as a tent mining camp. In 1915, two miners struck a $10 million gold find and the town blossomed! Olive Oatman is the namesake of the town. As a young girl, she was kidnapped by the Apaches, sold to the Mojave Indians and then later rescued in a trade in 1857 near the current site of the town. The town was ravaged by fire in 1921 and then three years later, the main mining company shut down its' operations. Oatman is now a small town that caters to tourists (and wild burros!). Its' Chamber of Commerce has unique activities and the annual bed race is one of them! Here is the information on it:
- Date: Saturday, January 29th
- Time: 11:00 Bake Sale; 12:00 Parade; 1:30 Bed Races
- Team Size: 5 people required - 1 to ride on the bed and 4 to push it!
- Entry Fee: $50.00 - per team (the Chamber provides the bed!)
- Each team member must be at least 18 years of age
- Only official beds supplied by the chamber can be used
- All 5 members must keep their hands on the bed while it is in motion
- The bed must remain under complete control of the team during the length of the race
- The rider must remain on the bed during the race!
- During the race, each of the 4 pushers must stuff a pillowcase with a pillow
- The sheet must also be placed on the bed during the race and cover the bed completely
- Team must ensure the bed remains on the prescribed course during the race.
- Decisions of the judges are final...No Whining Allowed!!!!
- Unsportsmanlike conduct or violation of the above rules will result in a 5 second penalty or team disqualification.
For more information on the bed races Oatman Az, please contact the Chamber of Commerce at 928-768-6222 (ask for Judy). Let us know if it was fun....could be an interesting annual destination of choice!